Economy Committee conducts hearing on Brexit
Commenting on today’s London Assembly Economy Committee on Preparing London for EU exit, which took evidence from both Remain and Leave-supporting experts, Labour’s London Assembly Economy Spokesperson, Andrew Dismore AM, said:
“Today we found strong consensus amongst our experts – both Brexiteer and Remainer – that the Chequers agreement is not the comprehensive plan we need to protect our capital’s economy and Londoners’ jobs; and that the EU will not agree to it either.
“The Government’s willful abandonment of its commitment to secure the same benefits and frictionless trade afforded to members of the EU places the economic health of London, and indeed our country, at risk.
“It’s vital that our working rights, environmental protections and other essential regulations remain, at the very least, as strong as those in the EU. It’s clear from our panellists today that this isn’t the case. So it’s time for the Prime Minister and her rejigged Cabinet to go back to the drawing board.”
- Today’s panel consisted of:
- The Rt. Hon. The Lord Andrew Adonis
- Roger Bootle, Executive Chairman, Capital Economics;
- Ben Gardiner, Director, Cambridge Econometrics;
- Dr Graham Gudgin, Economist, Centre for Business Research, Jusdge Business School, University of Cambridge;
- Andrew Dismore is the London Assembly Member for Barnet and Camden