Huge win for Mayor as Government u-turn on face coverings
The Government has performed a u-turn after sustained lobbying from the Mayor of London Sadiq Khan, forced them to change their position on requiring face coverings whilst using public transport. Mr Khan called for the change in April.
Also welcoming the news was Barnet and Camden London Assembly Member Andrew Dismore, who raised the issue at Mayor’s Question Time last month.
Mr Dismore said:
‘We know that face coverings do not help prevent catching the virus, but it does help to limit the spread. The Mayor has been calling for this for some time, but the inactivity of the Government and their lethargic approach to dealing properly with Coronavirus means that they are doing this very late in the day. Nonetheless it is welcome, as people start returning to work.’
Mr Khan said:
“I encourage anyone travelling on public transport, or anywhere you can’t keep a safe 2 metre distance, to wear a face covering, but from Monday 15 June, everyone must wear a covering over their nose and mouth for the entirety of any journeys made using the public transport network. This will be mandatory and will help everyone be safer.”
• Andrew Dismore AM is the London Assembly Member for Barnet and Camden.
• Mr Dismore raised the issue of face coverings at Mayor’s Question Time on May 21st, see details here.